TRWBS #224 – The Other Side of Thanksgiving
Show Notes – Saturday, December 3, 2016
In this episode: Writer-podcaster-recovering television producer Robert Wesley Branch; television executive producer and business development consultant Michele Wilson; and supervisor of civil rights intake complaints for the state in which he lives, singer-songwriter Dante Bonner. [The Robert Wesley Branch Show #224: The Other Side of Thanksgiving – originally broadcast on Saturday, December 3, 2016] #TheRobertWesleyBranchShow #KeepItConscious #RealRawRelevant
- [00:00] – [8:17] The First (1621) Thanksgiving (Excerpt from 500 Nations Documentary)
- [8:18] – [9:19] Show Theme Song: Be Well, Be Encouraged, Be Inspired Every Day (Theme from The Robert Wesley Branch Show). © 2013 Written by Mai Maiesha Rashad and Robert Wesley Branch. Arrangement and vocals by Mai Maiesha Rashad. Keyboards by Leroy Scooter Taylor. Drums and additional instrumental parts by Derek Redfootz.
- [9:20] – [21:25] RWB Talks. The Other Side of Thanksgiving I. Tracing the “traditional his-tory” of the 1621 (first) Thanksgiving celebration between the Wampanoag and the Mayflower Compact survivors, from the perspective of the European colonizers of these United States of America.
- [24:33] – [48:07] The Other Side of Thanksgiving II. Talking about the European mindset of the Mayflower Compact settlers and the consciousness of a colonizing people who would grab land that wasn’t theirs to possess and eventually massacre many of the indigenous people encountered in the New World that became these United States of America.
- [48:48] – [52:13] Commercial Break #1
- [52:14] – [1:10:31] The Other Side of Thanksgiving III. Tracing the story (not taught in public schools) of how the Wampanoag Indians – under the leadership of Wamsutta Frank James – came to organize their annual tradition of the National Day of Mourning at Cole’s Hill in Plymouth, Massachusetts, held each “Thanksgiving” holiday.
- [1:10:32] – [1:16:38] Michele’s “Thought of the Day.” (Participation)
- [1:16:39] – [1:21:07] The Red Pill Wake Up. Discussing how the 2016 Republican presidential win (the red party/pill) is an opportunity for thinking people to “wake up” spiritually, to raise their energetic vibration, and to come up higher in walking out their Divine Life Purpose – with gratitude, humility, and joy.
- [1:21:08] – [1:26:57] Dante’s “Word(s) of the Week.” (Forgiveness & Healing)
- [1:26:58] – [2:02:35] The Other Side of Thanksgiving IV. Continuing our conversation on the origins of the “American” identity: how Indigenous Indian land was stolen by European colonizers; how Native Americans were conquered and killed; and how Black folks (and Natives) were enslaved and indentured as the formation of what would become the United States government evolved until today.
- [2:04:55] – [2:09:48] Closing Song: “Jump Up in the Air” by Erykah Badu.
- Direct (MP3) download link of this episode
Books/Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen
- Mourt’s Relation
- The Invasion of America: Indians, Colonialism, and The Cant of Conquest by Francis Jennings
- The Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in American Indian Culture by Walter L. Williams
- Wonder-Working Providence of Sions Saviour in New England by Edward Johnson
Robert Wesley Branch is a writer, podcaster, and recovering television producer. District of Columbia born. Maryland raised. Yoga developed. God made.
Connect with Robert
My Website: http://www.robertwesleybranch.com
Apple iTunes Show Page: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-robert-wesley-branch-show/id1097518414?mt=2
BlogTalkRadio Show Page: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/robert-wesley-branch
iHeart Radio Show Page: http://www.iheart.com/show/263-The-Robert-Wesley-Branch-S/
Libsyn Podcast Page: http://robertwesleybranch.libsyn.com/podcast
Mixcloud Show Page: https://www.mixcloud.com/robert-wesley-branch
Overcast App Show Page: https://overcast.fm/itunes1097518414/the-robert-wesley-branch-show
Soundcloud Show Page: https://soundcloud.com/robert-wesley-branch